Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ideas for the college

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

Ideas for the college Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 10:12 am

I've been thinking about some changes for the college.
Before we even start, a definition of some terms is required:
-a "course" or "subject" is what your character requests. Success means that the ability is raised from the curent level to the next one. A "course" is made up from one or more "lessons".
-a "lesson" is something like the base unit of the college system. It is the equivalent of 3xp. So every course is made up out of 1 to 4 lessons, depending on the current level of the ability to learn.

First I think about sending an email after successfully learning something, instead of the current system with different quest states. This way you'll always know exactly how many lessons you have used up.
Then, perhaps change it from completely computer based to a kind of mail order system for books/papers on the subject: You order the papers by email, phone, or maybe even directly from some trader like Akeem. Then next time you return to your haven, you find a stack of readable papers on your desk. Using (reading) them will trigger the stat increase.

Then I'm thinking about dropping the additional bloodloss, and instead making Int/Research more interesting in other ways.
First I think, I'll keep the scholarship ability as rhetoric for persuasion only, like it currently is in CE. That means, the research feat can either be used for something else, or is dependent on Int only.

So this leaves some choices for making the college more dependent on Int.
1) low int characters have to pay more money. These additional funds go into the requirements for more background reading, tutorials, additional exercise papers, whatever you can imagine.

2) The actual number of lessons you can take is based on your Int. Maybe 20 lessons plus five per dot in Int. Problem with this simple approach is that the 5th dot in Int costs 16 xp, and 5 lessons only return 15. So unless you need high Int for something else, it's wasted.
Though that problem can be overcome by an occult item that rises Int. Maybe as a reward from Strauss for a mini quest after the gargoyle, if you don't rat him out to Isaak...

3)You have to pass a test on the subject, before you can successfully increase your ability. Then the money would be the test fee. The result would be randomly decided, with better chances for higher Int. Failure wouldn't mean loosing the lessons, but the money is gone. And you either have to repeat the test (with a bonus on the chance, because you already know what to expect), or you can select something else (without a bonus on the test).

Further ideas/comments are welcome.

geek 
Back to top Go down
ngppgn
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 am

Those ideas sond very good to me. Only the randomnes of the test idea makes me a bit uneasy - I don't lik throwing my money LoL, and I am specially not lucky with random number generators....

By the way, is the number of subjects you can learn limited by anything other than your money? Or is it a limit of x diferent abilities to be increased, or a limit of x lessons in total, to be distributed as one see fit? Also, will the books be still in-game, or this system repaces them?
Back to top Go down
MxM
Methuselah
Methuselah
MxM

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 am

Childe of Malkav wrote:
I've been thinking about some changes for the college.
2) The actual number of lessons you can take is based on your Int. Maybe 20 lessons plus five per dot in Int. Problem with this simple approach is that the 5th dot in Int costs 16 xp, and 5 lessons only return 15. So unless you need high Int for something else, it's wasted.
Though that problem can be overcome by an occult item that rises Int. Maybe as a reward from Strauss for a mini quest after the gargoyle, if you don't rat him out to Isaak...
geek 
You can make Akeem or someone in the library give you an occult item to raise Int as a reward for a mini quest so you can rat Strauss to Isaac  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 4:51 pm

ngppgn wrote:
Those ideas sond very good to me. Only the randomnes of the test idea makes me a bit uneasy - I don't lik throwing my money LoL, and I am specially not lucky with random number generators....
If I do something with a random based test, the chances for success would be quite good unless you try something really foolish like computers 5 with Int 1...
Or at least the cost for a repeated test would be lower as you don't have to buy all the learning materials on the subject again.

ngppgn wrote:
By the way, is the number of subjects you can learn limited by anything other than your money? Or is it a limit of x diferent abilities to be increased, or a limit of x lessons in total, to be distributed as one see fit? Also, will the books be still in-game, or this system repaces them?
The books will be replaced and the max amount of xp you can gain from the college (or whatever) will be about the the same as you could with the books. It will just cost more money, but you have more choices...

MxM wrote:
You can make Akeem or someone in the library give you an occult item to raise Int as a reward for a mini quest so you can rat Strauss to Isaac
I don't think so. The WoD is mostly about making (more or less bad) choices.

geek 
Back to top Go down
MxM
Methuselah
Methuselah
MxM

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 7:19 pm

IMO Akeem seems more appropriate to give you a research/ scholarship related occult item than Strauss. Even Beckett sounds good to give it to you as a reward after the museum quest (instead of the old +1 to Scholarship)
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:07 pm

MxM wrote:
IMO Akeem seems more appropriate to give you a research/ scholarship related occult item than Strauss. Even Beckett sounds good to give it to you as a reward after the museum quest (instead of the old +1 to Scholarship)
I'm not sure about that. Of course both are scholars in their own kind of way. But Tremere also need knowledge and research for studying Thaumaturgy and all the bloody rituals. Plus being wizards, they do have better chances for finding/creating such an item. And even if Akeem or Beckett had such an item, they would just give it to some neonate for a small service.

geek 
Back to top Go down
MxM
Methuselah
Methuselah
MxM

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 3:36 am

Maybe Akeem wouldn't, but Beckett is the only other vampire in the game you can trust (at least if you trust Rosa's future reading) and he helps you more than Strauss giving you bonus after the museum and Giovanni's quest (especially if you are Gangrel). Strauss is more helping just if you are Tremere, and gives more thing just to his apprentices.
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 5:36 am

Availability could be a problem even for Beckett. Usually you don't find magical items just lying in the streets. (unless you're playing TFN with inspection 10)

geek 
Back to top Go down
MxM
Methuselah
Methuselah
MxM

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:02 am

Childe of Malkav wrote:
Availability could be a problem even for Beckett. Usually you don't find magical items just lying in the streets. (unless you're playing TFN with inspection 10)

geek 
Beckett is an archeologist searching for vampire lore/ texts for centuries I guess he may have found a lot of ancient vampire/ magical items Smile 
Back to top Go down
malak
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
malak

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 am

MxM wrote:

Beckett is an archeologist searching for vampire lore/ texts for centuries I guess he may have found a lot of ancient vampire/ magical items Smile 
ancient vampire tomes on hacking and using firearms?
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 am

Caine works in mysterious ways XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for the college   Ideas for the college Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas for the college
Page 1 of 1