Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Alright, so I will eat some of what I said before. I was wrong! TFN is a much better mod than I initially gave it credit for, having now actually done a whole playthrough (as Salubri, without any extra modding).

My first thread was highly premature, as there was a lot to the game I just hadn't seen. There is one thing that stands out clearly though: this is a very well-done but challenging mod, not the best mod to be having fun with the game (imo, Clan Quest is much more fun, but not nearly as challenging). So there is some balance there, and worthwhile at that.

In reality, I would say that Salubri should count as the strongest tank character possible, by any race or clan built ever. Lol. Obeah + Fortitude + BB = INSANE levels of Soak feat, just untouchable by mid/late-game. As a young character is it quite difficult to play Salubri, but after surviving mid-game and being able to acquire its better skills plus armor, its ability to deflect and absorb damage is unparalleled. No other race could have come close imo, and that is a testament to two things: 1) zer0's wisdom in the clan design, and 2) what potential the Salubri have in their Warrior/Healer paths. Simply magnificent.

It also helped that every walkthrough of the game I've finished so far on any mod has resulted in a diff ending lol, this time it was the "do your own thing" path with letting LaCroix have the key and blow himself to smithereens. So satisfying haha.

There are still a few small tweaks I would make, but this is well worth a replay down the road.


Kudos to Zer0/Malkav/et al! Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2151
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes, the Salubri make awesome tanks. On my playthrough I actually didn't buy any armor until after I reached Chinatown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaulottheGentle
Antediluvian
Antediluvian


Posts : 727
Join date : 2012-10-06
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Salubri rule, Tremere Drool. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 am

Dragatus wrote:
Yes, the Salubri make awesome tanks. On my playthrough I actually didn't buy any armor until after I reached Chinatown.

Now that I think about it, I ended up doing the same thing. Reason being was that I would usually have very little cash due to buying as many skill books as possible.


Kinda annoying that the last 2-3 I couldn't get were because they needed a research of 8/9/10 T_T.



@Saulot: ahahaha, so true Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claudia
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4887
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 28
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 am

XD

Actually I liked playing Assamite. Come on, Assamite + fireamrs = uber cheated
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaulottheGentle
Antediluvian
Antediluvian


Posts : 727
Join date : 2012-10-06
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am

Of course, in both CE and FN, the Tremere and Salubri are both powerful tanks.
The Salubri because they are like a wall of diamonds against both human and supernatural, with maxed Obeah and Fortitude.
And in CE, after I finished a playthrough as a Tremere, because of the Physical skill restrictions, I was able to max out Thaumaturgy, Dominate and Auspex. And they are offensive powerhouses. "Cauldron of Blood" is like a timebomb that would make for a wonderful paint job, and "Still the Mortal Flesh", "Chain the Psyche" and "Tyrant's Gaze" works wonderfully against people.
Area of Effect Deaths, Making mutiple people completely susceptible to sneak kills, and Tyrant's Gaze for when you can't use any other offensive disciplines.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2151
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Sally, a tank is a character that is hard to kill because of strong defenses. Tremere don't qualify for that.

temporae wrote:
Dragatus wrote:
Yes, the Salubri make awesome tanks. On my playthrough I actually didn't buy any armor until after I reached Chinatown.

Now that I think about it, I ended up doing the same thing. Reason being was that I would usually have very little cash due to buying as many skill books as possible.

I did it for the same reason Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaulottheGentle
Antediluvian
Antediluvian


Posts : 727
Join date : 2012-10-06
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Dragatus wrote:
Sally, a tank is a character that is hard to kill because of strong defenses. Tremere don't qualify for that.

Err, I meant to say that the Salubri are tanks, but the Tremere are the opposite. They are killing machines with Still the Mortal Flesh and Cauldron of Blood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 pm

aha, yeah for sure. Ironically, I loved playing as Tremere (before I knew about Salubri and the whole WoD history bit). They could kill from range like no other character, plus blood-replenishing disciplines.

It always amused me how Strauss seemed like he had everything figured out, arrogant beyond belief. I liked how Troika et al made the Anarchs kind of complete opposites in that they don't really try to control anything, so their perspectives are really lawless altogether. Either go with Camarilla and complete control-it-all dipsticks, or Anarchs and don't give a damn about anyone else as long as they're not after you....or go solo ofc. Tough decisions o_t

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the kudos Temporae! I haven't read your initial review but this one was exactly what I was hoping someone who finished the game with a Salubri would say. I designed each clan to be "potentially" the most powerful at one thing. Tanking is a Salubri's nature however, I also wanted the player to have options to build their Kindred to "go against the grain" and still be viable. Versatile clans are generally the most fun to play because you can build them how you want, you aren't restricted to stereotypes.

Also I appreciate the feedback on TFN vs. CQM. You said CQM was more fun but TFN was more challenging. That's great to hear because to me, challenging = fun, not challenging = boring. If great power is just given to me and I didn't have to work for it, I get bored quickly. I wanted TFN to give the player a sense of accomplishment. I wanted the player to say "My TFN Kindred is powerful because I properly planned and executed a genius idea on how to make them powerful, therefore I deserve the power I obtained". So again, hearing that TFN was challenging gives me great delight!

Also, a quick note about Tremere. If you loved playing Tremere but still want to play TFN, may I recommend playing an Assamite. The Quietus discipline has many similarities to Thaumaturgy. I'll let you experiment with that! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Zer0Morph wrote:
Thanks for the kudos Temporae! I haven't read your initial review but this one was exactly what I was hoping someone who finished the game with a Salubri would say. I designed each clan to be "potentially" the most powerful at one thing. Tanking is a Salubri's nature however, I also wanted the player to have options to build their Kindred to "go against the grain" and still be viable. Versatile clans are generally the most fun to play because you can build them how you want, you aren't restricted to stereotypes.

Also I appreciate the feedback on TFN vs. CQM. You said CQM was more fun but TFN was more challenging. That's great to hear because to me, challenging = fun, not challenging = boring. If great power is just given to me and I didn't have to work for it, I get bored quickly. I wanted TFN to give the player a sense of accomplishment. I wanted the player to say "My TFN Kindred is powerful because I properly planned and executed a genius idea on how to make them powerful, therefore I deserve the power I obtained". So again, hearing that TFN was challenging gives me great delight!

Also, a quick note about Tremere. If you loved playing Tremere but still want to play TFN, may I recommend playing an Assamite. The Quietus discipline has many similarities to Thaumaturgy. I'll let you experiment with that! Smile

It is well-deserved cheers

Btw, I do want to point this out: the Salubri tank I ended up with by mid-late game was so badass....I literally walked up to the Society of Leopold guys, fully buffed, and tanked maybe 2 dozen enemies going all out with various kinds of weapons...and lost maybe 1 point of health while buffed the whole time. The amount of damage Salubri can take is just mind-boggling. Not too surprisingly, those are the favorite types of characters I like to have ^^

I didn't want to make it seem as if the opposite of "challenging" was "boring", as that wasn't the case. What it meant in terms of gameplay for me was that I had to strategically plan a lot of encounters, especially ones that needed stealth to get those XP bonuses. It worked out every time, though in some cases it needed a 2nd/3rd run-through to get right. Contrast this with CQM, where there was less strategic planning involved, but the gameplay seemed to be more relaxed and less tension-inducing Razz.


I may try Assamites when I pick up TFN later on (on different RPG projects atm). Do you have any plans for updating it though? I know you're probably still busy with new jobs and other stuff IRL, but I'd love to see new blood injected into the site/mod (pun intended Smile.


EDIT: Please, for the love of goodness, introduce female classes for all races in TFN! I had a huge issue playing as an ugly male character, especially for Assamites where he looks like he's crawling on the ground.


[b]


Last edited by temporae on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Need the fairer sex too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karavolos
megalomaniac


Posts : 2305
Join date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:02 am

temporae wrote:
EDIT: Please, for the love of goodness, introduce female classes for all races in TFN! I had a huge issue playing as an ugly male character, especially for Assamites where he looks like he's crawling on the ground.

While I agree that female models need to be implemented, you do realize that the male Assamite won't crawl around on the ground in-game right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feral
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4369
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 32
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 am

Karavolos wrote:
temporae wrote:
EDIT: Please, for the love of goodness, introduce female classes for all races in TFN! I had a huge issue playing as an ugly male character, especially for Assamites where he looks like he's crawling on the ground.

While I agree that female models need to be implemented, you do realize that the male Assamite won't crawl around on the ground in-game right?

What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah, the Assamite character screen animation was originally built for Gangrel however in game, the character walks upright and normal. So don't avoid an Assamite male because you think he'll be crawling the whole time.

I agree that all of the female clans should be introduced, the problem is time for a professional reskin. Last I heard the fans wanted a female Baali character so I was planning on her being in my next release but I could always do the female Assamite instead, or both if I have the time. I'm dreading doing the Samedi female reskin because of how long it took to reskin the male, plus all of the model editing in Blender I had to do. I would literally have to reteach myself Blender to do the female Samedi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
Karavolos
megalomaniac


Posts : 2305
Join date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Feral wrote:
What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?

Unicorn? Is Temporae a Salubri?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claudia
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4887
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 28
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 pm

If only Lenuska would work with tangible projects Very Happy

trolling off.

I've made a shout out to Deviantart group VTMB clanclub for blender users and else, but no responses so far:/

_________________

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feral
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4369
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 32
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Karavolos wrote:
Feral wrote:
What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?

Unicorn? Is Temporae a Salubri?

If memory serves... scratch
Or maybe I am mistaken...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karavolos
megalomaniac


Posts : 2305
Join date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Hmmm scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5165
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Feral wrote:
Karavolos wrote:
temporae wrote:
EDIT: Please, for the love of goodness, introduce female classes for all races in TFN! I had a huge issue playing as an ugly male character, especially for Assamites where he looks like he's crawling on the ground.

While I agree that female models need to be implemented, you do realize that the male Assamite won't crawl around on the ground in-game right?

What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?
You know how these horsy things are. Always nervous when a dog is around Wink

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Karavolos wrote:
temporae wrote:
EDIT: Please, for the love of goodness, introduce female classes for all races in TFN! I had a huge issue playing as an ugly male character, especially for Assamites where he looks like he's crawling on the ground.

While I agree that female models need to be implemented, you do realize that the male Assamite won't crawl around on the ground in-game right?

lol yeah, I did get that part figured out. Although it could have surprised me given that I half expected the Samedi/Nosferatu characters to be more zombie-like and walking more like that than upright.

Zer0Morph wrote:
Yeah, the Assamite character screen animation was originally built for Gangrel however in game, the character walks upright and normal. So don't avoid an Assamite male because you think he'll be crawling the whole time.

I agree that all of the female clans should be introduced, the problem is time for a professional reskin. Last I heard the fans wanted a female Baali character so I was planning on her being in my next release but I could always do the female Assamite instead, or both if I have the time. I'm dreading doing the Samedi female reskin because of how long it took to reskin the male, plus all of the model editing in Blender I had to do. I would literally have to reteach myself Blender to do the female Samedi.

It was just from a purely aesthetics point of view ZM, nothing more really. If you had plans for it, that's good enough for me *roots for Assamite female still*. Seriously though, I would rather not think about the Samedi female...it's just disgusting looking enough on the male lol (well-drawn, that's for sure). No need to re-teach yourself Blender! By All means, let the Samedi be forgotten! tongue

Also, fyi the 'urgency' in my last post was more from not knowing how long you would have to work/hang around TFN this time around, as this is the first time I've been able to get your opinion of my feedback since I joined these forums a few months ago.

How is real life treating you these days?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
temporae
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Feral wrote:
Karavolos wrote:
Feral wrote:
What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?

Unicorn? Is Temporae a Salubri?

If memory serves... scratch
Or maybe I am mistaken...

Too many innuendos to really bother dignifying a response with, sorry guy. But to clarify, Salubri would probably be the clan/bloodline I have the highest affinity for, ya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karavolos
megalomaniac


Posts : 2305
Join date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Temporae wrote:
I would rather not think about the Samedi female...it's just disgusting looking enough on the male

"Aw come on, I like cuddles and long walks on the beach." What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5165
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Karavolos wrote:
Temporae wrote:
I would rather not think about the Samedi female...it's just disgusting looking enough on the male

"Aw come on, I like cuddles and long walks on the beach." What a Face
...at new moon, near the fish market Laughing

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2151
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Feral wrote:
Karavolos wrote:
Feral wrote:
What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?

Unicorn? Is Temporae a Salubri?

If memory serves... scratch
Or maybe I am mistaken...

I think you mixed her up with Sally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feral
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4369
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 32
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Dragatus wrote:
Feral wrote:
Karavolos wrote:
Feral wrote:
What do you have against going on all fours, Unicorn?

Unicorn? Is Temporae a Salubri?

If memory serves... scratch
Or maybe I am mistaken...

I think you mixed her up with Sally.

Apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN   Today at 4:51 am

Back to top Go down
 
Thoughts on having actually finished a playthrough of TFN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Thoughts on Difficulty
» Thoughts on Blood Angels list.
» 1500 Points Purifier List! Thoughts
» What clan should I play as my first playthrough of TFN?
» Thoughts on Forza 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team Camarilla International Official Forum :: The Final Nights Forum :: Post Your Reviews and Ideas-
Jump to: