Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vampire Literature

Go down 
+7
Garlik
wesp5
Childe of Malkav
Eliza
Claudia
Feral
eye of the divine
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

Vampire Literature  Empty
PostSubject: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 6:36 pm

So I was wondering if anyone else was feeling a little starved of decent vampire novels?

Whenever I hear someone talk about vampire stuff the dreaded T saga comes up all the time, they are crap books and I hate them so I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions?

For me one of my favorite novels was The Historian.

Vampire Literature  10692

Which came out around the same time as T****** and I feel like it never really got the recognition it deserved. What about you guys? Which books would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
http://eyeofthedivine.tumblr.com
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 3:36 pm

I stick to DriveThrouh's VtM books... I have never heard of Mrs Kostova, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 5:40 am

I don't read :/
Back to top Go down
Eliza
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Eliza

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 am

The only good vampire novels that I've read in a while are by a German author (Markus Heitz), and I'm not sure they've been translated, because they were not a huge popularity smash (niche genre and all). He also wrote some very interesting werewolf novels and has a foot squarely in the horror/supernatural genre, and I like them largely because the protagonists of his novels tend to be supernatural creatures, not just the antagonists.
He also writes ordinary fantasy (about dwarves? There's a rather popular series called "Die Zwerge" (the dwarves) that I haven't read) and thrillers with supernatural elements, and does a lot of research for his novels, which I really like. In his vampire novels, he oriented himself on the Eastern European image of vampires, which is a nice change from the Dracula clones.
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

Hm, I've seen "Die Zwerge" in bookshops, but never read it. So he writes supernatural things as well. Might be worth looking into...
Back to top Go down
Eliza
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Eliza

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 6:10 am

Most of the supernatural stuff is in one universe, too, so there are lots of character crossovers in his novels, which I liked. However, that means you have to read his books in a certain order, otherwise you'll be spoiled or missing certain necessary information. (Also, The Dwarves has apparently been translated, but none of his supernatural stuff, according to wikipedia at least).
I think the order in which you should read them goes something like this:
Ritus -> Sanctum (Werewolf stuff)
Kinder des Judas -> Judassohn -> Judastöchter (Vampire stuff)
Blutportale (Supernatural stuff)
Oneiros -> Totenblick (Supernatural stuff)

Not sure about Blutportale, though. It's been a few years since I've read all of it, maybe I should do it again in the semester holidays.
Back to top Go down
wesp5
Ancillae
Ancillae
wesp5

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 6:13 am

In case you don't know them yet, I really like the "Dresden Files" series of books. Lots of supernaturals and some are cool vampires too!
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 6:19 am

Eliza wrote:
(Also, The Dwarves has apparently been translated, but none of his supernatural stuff, according to wikipedia at least).

Shame they actually sound interesting :(

wesp5 wrote:
In case you don't know them yet, I really like the "Dresden Files" series of books. Lots of supernaturals and some are cool vampires too!

I have the majority of that series knocking around somewhere but haven't got round to reading them, they're one of my partner's favourite series :3
Back to top Go down
Garlik
Neonate
Neonate

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 1:29 pm

My favorite would be "The Golden" by "Lucius Shepard".

It's kinda hard to explain it, but it's somehow written like characters are really vampires, as in their way of thinking is way above human level, as in it's overlayered, but in other terms it's under human level because they sometimes overthink the most simple stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jad.3
Caine
Caine
Jad.3

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Not about vampires per se, but chess games with people still happen... literally.
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm

I looked up both books they sound interesting :)

I really enjoyed Necroscope book too it had an interesting take on vampires for sure but has flaws.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66655.Necroscope
Back to top Go down
Jad.3
Caine
Caine
Jad.3

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 4:17 am

Have you read them all? I stopped with the first one -which I liked very much- but from what a friend said about the rest, I did not stick my nose into those.
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 am

Jad.3 wrote:
Have you read them all? I stopped with the first one -which I liked very much- but from what a friend said about the rest, I did not stick my nose into those.

I started the 2nd book, which was basically an in utero infection of vampirism on a child and him growing up in England.

I'm not sure exactly why I stopped reading it, thinking back I'd say probably because it just wasn't as good as the first one, I had stronger ties to characters in the first book than the next one. It wasn't the fact my favourite characters died at the end of book one that put me off but rather the fact that I didn't bond with the new characters and had little interest in the ones that made it to book two.
Back to top Go down
musclehustle
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 2:07 am

IIRC, before George R. R. Martin wrote A Song of Ice and Fire, he was into the horror genre and wrote a number of vampire novels, a title of one of his best books was "Fevre Dream". If you like George R. R. Martin, Fevre Dream might be of interest
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 am

musclehustle wrote:
IIRC, before George R. R. Martin wrote A Song of Ice and Fire, he was into the horror genre and wrote a number of vampire novels, a title of one of his best books was "Fevre Dream". If you like George R. R. Martin, Fevre Dream might be of interest

Is it as heavy in detail as Game of Thrones?
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 am

musclehustle wrote:

Is it as heavy in detail as Game of Thrones?
Back to top Go down
YamiRaziel
Methuselah
Methuselah
YamiRaziel

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:58 pm

How about Dracula by Bram Stoker Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitistreviewer.com/
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 4:26 am

YamiRaziel wrote:
How about Dracula by Bram Stoker Razz

Reminds me of Clan Novel Tzimisce... Why are you asking?
Back to top Go down
YamiRaziel
Methuselah
Methuselah
YamiRaziel

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Ah, no reason. I saw everybody discussing vampire literature and wanted your opinion on this one. It's one of my favourites Cool
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 1:29 pm

YamiRaziel wrote:
Ah, no reason. I saw everybody discussing vampire literature and wanted your opinion on this one. It's one of my favourites Cool

It is a classic. The Tzimisce were based on this book. Even the developers admitted that.
I bet it is one of Philo's favorites Laughing
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 3:19 am

Feral wrote:
YamiRaziel wrote:

It is a classic. The Tzimisce were based on this book. Even the developers admitted that.
I bet it is one of Philo's favorites Laughing
Nah, too many crucifixes and holy water for our Philo... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Eliza
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Eliza

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 am

To be honest, as someone who has had to read quite a few "classics", the original Dracula is surprisingly palatable even for a modern taste. Compare it to, say, the original Frankenstein, which was dreadfully boring in parts and incredibly thick in others, and you get what I mean. (Not to say that Dracula doesn't drag on at times, but me, I actually had fun reading it, unlike when I had to read Frankenstein for a literature class.)
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Hm, I agree with your opinion on Dracula. As for Frankenstein, it's too long since I read it and I can't remember it that well. But that's probably because it wasn't that good...
Back to top Go down
YamiRaziel
Methuselah
Methuselah
YamiRaziel

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 4:49 am

It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils.

The beginning of chapter 5 of Frankenstein is burned forever in my mind. I remember when I read it for the first time in 10th grade, I had like 4 unfamiliar words in this sentence, alone Very Happy The list went up to 300 for the next 5 pages...
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 6:07 am

YamiRaziel wrote:
It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils.

The beginning of chapter 5 of Frankenstein is burned forever in my mind. I remember when I read it for the first time in 10th grade, I had like 4 unfamiliar words in this sentence, alone Very Happy The list went up to 300 for the next 5 pages...

I was doing the same, when I was learning English. Tremere Trilogy in one hand and dictionary in the other...
But for a really posh English, go for Agata Christie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vampire Literature    Vampire Literature  Empty

Back to top Go down

Vampire Literature
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next