Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Expanding the alternating soundtrack

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Timekiller
Fledgling
Fledgling

Expanding the alternating soundtrack Empty
PostSubject: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi! I was pointed here to the lair of Malkav by Zer0morph in my search of glorious answers.
Seriously, though, it's kinda late so I'll just copy-paste my original question below (well, minus the "Hi!", since that'd be pretty redundant by now..) :

I've played through the CE mod twice so far (started far more playthroughs, but the Warrens questline usually gets me to ragequit..), and I'm really loving it, but I'm something of a pathological micromodder; if I see any opportunity to add some minor thing or 'fix' something, I'll go relatively far to get it done. This is one such thing: I love the way you guys did the alternating music in CE and would like to extend it to other zones than Hubs 'n' Clubs. Is there a good guide to this somewhere or any pointers you could give me? I'm new at modding Bloodlines, but tend to learn rather quickly. Any help'd be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm

To be honest, the whole thing is a rather ugly hack, involving file copying ingame.
Apart from that, there is a python script def presetMusic(club): in vamputil.py that handles the actual file selection.
For the soundfiles used in the locations, most are handeled in scheme files (plain text) in /sound/schemes. There you must change the music path to /music/clubs/music.mp3. For most places I have switched the music from the schemes directly to the map because that allows for volume changes during dialog, but map editing is advanced bloodlines modding. Wink
Back to top Go down
Timekiller
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 3:18 am

Ugly to create or replicate? I've dealt a fair bit with notepad-modding in VTMB already, from the aforementioned soundschemes (setting music volume in a certain zone to zero and adding in the desired track as ambience turned out to be a great, simple and -almost- bugfree (Venture Tower didn't always take kindly to it. Especially the final boss..) way to stop song-hopping due to battles in Grout's Mansion, the caverns under the hunter's nest and certain boss battles, really improving atmosphere. Also fixed the hilarious sway when aiming with scoped weapons. I'm currently on duty in the army until next friday, so I can't do much now, but I can still do some brainstorming until then.

What are the files involved in the script?
Do I need anything else than what was provided in the extras-folder to modify maps?

Eagerly awaiting answer!
Back to top Go down
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine
Zer0Morph

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Welcome Timekiller, glad to see you made it here.

I don't know if this would solve your problem or not but you can add sound triggers to maps so when your character runs over it, the trigger actives a python script making the ambient music or sound scheme change to your desired effect. The game has a built in fade effect too, so it doesn't just jump to a new sound. I had to do this at the sewer entrances to make the background stop playing when you enter the sewer, and then turns back on when you leave. It makes the sewer seem... my lonely, which also brings out the dripping water sound and rat screeches. What's really cool is when your in the sewer in SM and it's raining and thundering up top and you can hear it, yet you're safe from the rain in the sewers. Very cool effect.
Back to top Go down
https://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Ugly meaning it's bad programming to do it this way. But I have no idea how to do it in another way.

You can use the vpk tools for map editing. But the problem is that the editor of vpk tool is rather primitive. You probably should better stick to the scheme files.
Back to top Go down
Timekiller
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 5:07 am

Alrighto! Thanks for your help!
I'll try my luck at it this weekemd, and subsequently be back with more questions.
Prowl easy, kindred..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the alternating soundtrack   Expanding the alternating soundtrack Empty

Back to top Go down

Expanding the alternating soundtrack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team Camarilla International Official Forum :: Camarilla Edition Forum :: Ask a Question-
Jump to: