With Halloween being here tomorrow and the weather getting cold and spooky, I wanted to take a moment to address the current state of The Final Nights mod. Version 1.3 was released back on Feb. 5 of this year along with hotfix 1.3.1 a few days later, but since then nothing has really been mentioned. Some of the major new features included the introduction of the female Assamite character, the new background story system, and a major hacking and lockpicking overhaul. I personally loved the new changes and received a lot of positive feedback, however there were many additional features I wanted to bring to you back in February but didn't have enough time.
After the release of 1.3 I began to get that feeling of being burned out on Bloodlines and began playing Skyrim for a few months upgrading my gaming PC in the process. After that I began playing Civilization V around July, and then in September began increasing my rank in League of Legends. As the seasons began to change I got the ever so familiar gnawing feeling of TFN in my gut. I started logging into this site and our ModDB page to get re-acquainted with the community.
I would like to start modding TFN again however League of Legends Season 5 doesn't end until November 11th so I think I want to stick it out until it's over. At that time, I'll have all the time in the world to really dedicate my time to finishing up 1.4 and start asking for Beta Testers. 1.4 will obviously have many new futures and game changes but this release will contain something extra special. Finally, freaking finally I have designed an official game manual for TFN that includes EVERYTHING you need to know to play it. From game mechanic changes, to Q&As, to the weapon breakdowns, clans, disciplines, how to install, strategies, etc... I mean this thing is huge! Up until now, fans wanted to get their questions answered had to login here and fumble around multiple sites to get their answers, and even then sometimes they still were confused. Hopefully this game manual will fix that flaw. Will people read it? I think so, and if they ask questions here that are already explained in the manual, we can refer them to it. "Did you read the manual?" "So what's going to be in 1.4?"
Here's the quick snapshot of the bug fixes and features of 1.4 currently. This list is subject to change but for now, I'm pretty happy with it.Bug Fixes
- Changed starting money amount
- Akeem's model now has proper physics applied
- Removed buggy cop in Empire Arms Hotel
- Changed inspection occult items to avoid duplicates with quest givers
- Changed Assamite Vizier to proper clan logo in character sheet
- Removed Presence, Auspex, and Fortitude first person view emitter
- Fixed Online Bank Hacking bug where you wouldn't receive money
- Beachhouse and Gimble's basement stay unlocked after quest completion
- Key of Alamut occult item not using the proper trait effect
- Normal fists are removed if player has Fang of Vukodlak after shapeshifting
- Apep's claws and Fiery fists no longer show in the inventory
- Created prostitute trigger for pier hooker
- Fixed no hands bug in tutorial
- Raised damage of the Bush Hook and Nodachi
- Improved Akeem's lip movements (Thanks DDLullu)
- Fixed Lily's cutscene for female models (Thanks DDLullu)
- Fixed Silvia's black bar on facial model (Thanks DDLullu)
- Fixed Flynn's eye issue on facial model (Thanks DDLullu)New Content
- Clan Followers of Set are now the Warriors of Set
- Created "For the Greater Good" side quest for all clans
- Can blackmail Gary with a photo for a new powerful occult item
- Presence 3-5 influences NPCs during dialogue (No blood required)
- Presence duration reduced to balance with new dialogue ability
- Items will not appear without appropriate Inspection level for all maps
- Auspex now reveals hidden items in real-time
- Auspex duration reduced to balance with new reveal ability
- Created progressive particle effect for Auspex and redesigned visuals/sound
- New items have been placed on all maps for new Inspection System
- Trip now sells a bottle of Morphine
- Malcolm and his patient leave when Heather does
- Silvia Black sends email to the player upon arriving in Santa Monica
- Pisha's fetish items require Inspection 4 to see
- Bertram's CD requires Inspection 7 to see
- Fang of Vukodlak is cursed and cannot be removed once worn
- Restored all PC models for introduction scene
- Use Inspection 4 to uncover Gimble's plot and earn XP
- Changed eyes for Osebo and Samedi models
- Persuasion was changed to Inspection to reveal information on the Gargoyle
- Rebalanced experience gain
- Rebalanced Haggle money rewards
- Occult items resell value 75% of base value
- New music for ending credits
The focus of TFN 1.4 are the two discipline overhauls for Presence and Auspex. These 2 disciplines have been changed so drastically that using them will completely change your overall strategy. Not only are they effective in combat situations but also provide a large amount of utility that the other disciplines don't have. Another major change was done to the Followers of Set clan. They are no longer Followers but rather Warriors; having their Obfuscate discipline swapped out for Potence, these guys are still charming but can easily go aggressive if needed.
Another game changing design was the overhaul to overall experience gain. In short, it was nerfed. I haven't touched the experience gain at the beginning of the game but a slight reduction in the mid game was performed and a major reduction in the late game was also implemented. We found that experience in the late game was given too freely, almost to the point of having too much so this change will drive for a more realistic end game experience. To put in plainly, you won't be swimming in experience at the end like you were before. Along with this nerf to experience we also nerfed the amount of money given to the player from the Haggle feat. We heard many complaints that Haggle was too powerful and gave the player too much money, almost to the point that the player was dependent on this feat. We listened and so Haggle has been toned down a little so the player is no longer swimming in cash at the end game."When will 1.4 be released?"
I don't have a set date yet but I'm shooting for some time in January. December IS a possibility and it really depends on how much Beta Testing support I can get. The balance changes are a bit more involved this time around so I really want to focus on that so I'll need a team with time on their hands to play the game with the changes and give me feedback on how they feel the balance lies."You said Beta Testing, how do I sign up for that?"
I'll be following the same pattern as with previous releases and you should see a sign up sheet later in November."Will my name be in the credits if I Beta Test?"
Of course... if you actually contribute, Yes!
Alright kiddies, that's all I've got for now. Ask me any questions you have below and in the meantime, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!