Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Various interesting stuff

Go down 
+6
ThePhilosopher
Dragatus
malak
SaulottheGentle
Childe of Malkav
Garlik
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

Various interesting stuff - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Great idea. At least for a start. Knowing the sequences and their in-species variability  is a start point to identify the genes in the genomes, their allels and regulatory sequences. Knowing that epigenetical regulation of expression could be assessed, provided that methylation of the genome was studied. Expression of the genes should be studied as well, because without knowing if and when a gene is expressed, we are still in the woods. Not to mention that while the function of some genes could be guessed per analogy, many would still be a puzzle. Finally, their impact on the phenotype needs to be assessed to know what they actually do...

Somebody planned well for a ton of grants in the future and a workload for decades. Philogenetical and bioinformatical work in this is mindboggling.
The things we could learn...

EDIT: One thing that worries me is they seem to neglect the inspecies variation and Procaryotic symbionts of the Eucariotic organisms. It means the vast majority of variation will be omitted in this research, to a great detriment to the results.

Great idea, but prohibitevely expensive and I am afraid not entirely thought trough...
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Various interesting stuff - Page 6 E2d278c546432c8b0a30ce8982752deb56d0249aff996c923378fdf2524a5981
Back to top Go down
Dragatus
Caine
Caine
Dragatus

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Oh, let him have his fun.
Back to top Go down
malak
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
malak

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 11:34 pm

I feel like we just tripped Ferals geek switch.
What exactly is your doctorate in?
Back to top Go down
Jad.3
Caine
Caine
Jad.3

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 3:28 am

By the character of speech, I'm guessing xenobiology.

Various interesting stuff - Page 6 Latest?cb=20110612142149
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 am

I have a Master Engineer in Biotechnology, specialization in plant biotechnology and since recently PhD of Agricultural Sciences, specialization in Agronomy. I researched pleiotropic impact of genetic modification on the expression of other genes from relevant pathways, thereof impact of those changes on metabolism of phenylpropanoids, benzenoids, and cell wall polymers of flax in ddeveloping plants, as well as in fibra and shives. So Biotechnology and biochemistry of a crop variety of flax, for short.

@Philo: I do...? *rolls over*

@malak, Dragathus: I do not get it with fun and switch. I do not switch... lol!

@Jad: I do not get the xenobiology reference either. Genetic modification is nothing scary, it is a normal technology used everywhere save in Europe, because of mainly German Green maniacs.
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 am

FERAL, ARE GENETICALLY MODIFIED CROPS THE SPAWN OF SATAN THAT GIVES EVERYTHING CANCER?

Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 6:14 am

ThePhilosopher wrote:
FERAL, ARE GENETICALLY MODIFIED CROPS THE SPAWN OF SATAN THAT GIVES EVERYTHING CANCER?

Philo, don't play the village idiot... Your most attractive part is your brains. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jad.3
Caine
Caine
Jad.3

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 am

Feral wrote:
@Jad: I do not get the xenobiology reference either. Genetic modification is nothing scary, it is a normal technology used everywhere save in Europe, because of mainly German Green maniacs.

A JOKE! HAHAHA hahaha ha ha, ha... ha...

Feral wrote:
ThePhilosopher wrote:

Philo, don't play the village idiot... Your most attractive part is your brains. Laughing

Or lack thereof.
Back to top Go down
Cretino
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Cretino

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 am

Feral wrote:
I have a Master Engineer in Biotechnology, specialization in plant biotechnology and since recently PhD of Agricultural Sciences, specialization in Agronomy. I researched pleiotropic impact of genetic modification on the expression of other genes from relevant pathways, thereof impact of those changes on metabolism of phenylpropanoids, benzenoids, and cell wall polymers of flax in ddeveloping plants, as well as in fibra and shives. So Biotechnology and biochemistry of a crop variety of flax, for short.

I'm gathering special people to make my dream come true. Are you interested? Send me a PM.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Cretino wrote:
Feral wrote:

I'm gathering special people to make my dream come true. Are you interested? Send me a PM.

Well, I live in Poland... A bit far to be of any use, I am afraid...
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 2:22 pm

And a new find feminists will not like:

https://www.avoiceformen.com/men/study-links-aggressive-boys-to-moms-behavior/
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Feral wrote:
ThePhilosopher wrote:

Oh my. Embarassed

I used to visit these type of "sites for men" a few years ago. They've all devolved either to racist websites (one of the article-makers saying that USA needs the police to keep killing blacks least they overtake society), sexist (saying all females are soulless whores and women shouldn't be allowed to vote) or plain pathetic whine-about-everything sites. And I don't use the "-ist" acusations often Rolling Eyes

They're good to get an "non-narrative" outlook on the world, but I don't recommend staying there long.
I have never seen this "voice for men" though, don't know if it's good or not.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 3:19 pm

ThePhilosopher wrote:
Feral wrote:
ThePhilosopher wrote:

Oh my. Embarassed

I used to visit these type of "sites for men" a few years ago. They've all devolved either to racist websites (one of the article-makers saying that USA needs the police to keep killing blacks least they overtake society), sexist (saying all females are soulless whores and women shouldn't be allowed to vote) or plain pathetic whine-about-everything sites. And I don't use the "-ist" acusations often  Rolling Eyes

They're good to get an "non-narrative" outlook on the world, but I don't recommend staying there long.
I have never seen this "voice for men" though, don't know if it's good or not.

I stumbled onto this quite by accident (sharing the bed with my laptop, my flu and my boredom: I like only one of the trio) and was genuinely surprised, as I always thought such characteristics are rather hereditary in humans. It has been long ago observed that testosterone level is adjusted according to environmental input in rabbits, I however didn't expect it to be true in humans. Oh well, I am more into plants by calling. Even if I find young males interesting. Scientifically, of course... lol!

As fore all the narrow minded sites, I have found many sorts of them: for men, women, gays, radical Muslims, hardcore Protestants, feminists...
It is a good practice to google a little, sometimes one more search could prove such an article ( and/or site) a load of manure.

Now that you reminded me, years ago I googled things on chastity and stumbled on a site of Czech feminists who advocated locking all boys in chastity devices. For their own good of course. So far unparalleled pinnacle of stupidity as far as my browsing experiences are concerned...
Back to top Go down
Dragatus
Caine
Caine
Dragatus

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 pm

The article is yet another example of pseudo-journalistic sensationalism mingled with pushing a narrative. The author took "testosterone levels in 5 month old boys have more to do with environmental than with genetic factors" and turned it into "aggressiveness in boys is caused by the behaviour of their mothers". And then threw in a jab against a random feminist for teh lulz or something.

I guess the finding of the study is interesting (especially to a biology nerd like Feral) but the article is bad.

Don't get me wrong, the internet is full of bad articles written by the other side too. But two evils don't make a right and "they do it too" is not a valid excuse.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Right you are, Dragatus. Actually, good journalism is very hard to come by. As for the "they do it too" crybaybing, I am sorry I gave such an impression. My point was to highlight an interesting fact I found surprising. As for the behaviorist conclusions found in the article, I find them over simplistic, to say the least. Some study on larger sample over some significant period of time would have been nicer.
But the correlation between testosterone level and aggression level is true on population level. Of course, individuals may react differently from the average for the population as a whole.
I still find it funny how many progressive feminists tend to react to research that is contrary to their beliefs. Not as funny as the look on the faces on antivaccine fanboys and fangirls when their pet theory was experimentally crushed, but still.

As an old Jewish wisdom has it, paper will suffer anything. As in anything published on it. True in science too, unfortunately.

Wait... Does it make paper to be into BDSM...? scratch
Back to top Go down
malak
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
malak

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Feral wrote:

Now that you reminded me, years ago I googled things on chastity and stumbled on a site of Czech feminists who advocated locking all boys in chastity devices. For their own good of course. So far unparalleled pinnacle of stupidity as far as my browsing experiences are concerned...

And then there's this.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 6:00 pm

malak wrote:
Feral wrote:

And then there's this.

Well... What could I say? "Orderly, sedative! Nurse, straitjacket!" or something...

But... Wait... Does it mean I get raped too? Shocked Suspect No scratch
I need to drink a glass of vodka and I cannot because of infection. Oh dear...
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Dragatus wrote:
The article is yet another example of pseudo-journalistic sensationalism mingled with pushing a narrative. The author took "testosterone levels in 5 month old boys have more to do with environmental than with genetic factors" and turned it into "aggressiveness in boys is caused by the behaviour of their mothers". And then threw in a jab against a random feminist for teh lulz or something.

I guess the finding of the study is interesting (especially to a biology nerd like Feral) but the article is bad.

Don't get me wrong, the internet is full of bad articles written by the other side too. But two evils don't make a right and "they do it too" is not a valid excuse.

Agreed one hundred percent.

Feral wrote:

I need to drink a glass of vodka and I cannot because of infection. Oh dear...
If / When I ever go to europe you gotta show me your polish vodka drinking skills.
Back to top Go down
malak
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
malak

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Vodka make Feral stronk! Too stronk for infection!
Back to top Go down
Dragatus
Caine
Caine
Dragatus

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 4:29 am

Feral wrote:
But... Wait... Does it mean I get raped too?   Shocked  Suspect  No  scratch

Only if you have a vagina. That's what the V in PIV stands for.

What I do when I come across a bad article that contains interesting information is to try to find a better source. Like in our example the article you linked contains a link to this: http://nouvelles.umontreal.ca/en/article/2012/05/10/testosterone-fuelled-infantile-males-might-be-a-product-of-moms-behaviour/

And if that still has to much of a sensationalistic spin for your taste it contains the name of the study. Google that and you come across these babies:
1) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453012001588
2) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224931922_Genetic_and_environmental_contributions_to_saliva_testosterone_levels_in_male_and_female_infant_twins
3) http://www.livescience.com/20231-infant-testosterone-levels-environment.html

The first two are a little too dryly scientific, but the third one seems good for general consumption.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 am

Dragatus wrote:
Feral wrote:
But... Wait... Does it mean I get raped too?   Shocked  Suspect  No  scratch

Only if you have a vagina. That's what the V in PIV stands for.

Well, I have a penetrable functional analogue...

Dragatus wrote:

The first two are a little too dryly scientific, but the third one seems good for general consumption.

Why too dry...?

malak wrote:
Vodka make Feral stronk! Too stronk for infection!

Not really, I am afraid...

ThePhilosopher wrote:

If / When I ever go to europe you gotta show me your polish vodka drinking skills.

I am always happy to get you drunk... Twisted Evil
lol!
Back to top Go down
Dragatus
Caine
Caine
Dragatus

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Feral wrote:
Why too dry...?

Maybe "dry" was not the best adjective. But those are written in scientific English which the general population might find unappealing.
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Dragatus wrote:
Feral wrote:
Why too dry...?

Maybe "dry" was not the best adjective. But those are written in scientific English which the general population might find unappealing.

Ah, I get it. You mean the papers we use as insomnia cure...
Worst thing ever is when the research is great, but the author wrote it in such a dull way even the peer reviewers keep yawning.
Back to top Go down
Dragatus
Caine
Caine
Dragatus

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 3:39 pm

https://qz.com/924103/happiness-has-become-an-emotional-burden-says-a-danish-psychologist-svend-brinkmann/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Various interesting stuff   Various interesting stuff - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Various interesting stuff
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next