Hi all, long time no see. Wasn't sure if I should make this a new topic or append to someone else's, but since the advice I've read so far hasn't worked, I thought a new one might be better?
I've installed VTM on my new Win 10 laptop but cannot start a new game. I can get through the videos at the beginning, and I can use the main menu, but when I click "new game" and the loading screen appears, it only loads to what looks like about 3% and then I get a message saying that vampire.exe needs to close.
I've spent eight hours so far trying to fix this one issue and am out of ideas on what else to try.
The most common solution I've seen online seems to be to reinstall the game. I've tried that, and ensured to manually delete any remaining files so that it would be a completely fresh install, but that was met with mixed success. The vanilla game actually runs fine, I can start a new game and play it without any crashing, but only IF I don't install Camarilla Edition. If I do install CE, I end up with this crashing problem. It's frustrating because texture quality without CE is awful to the point of distracting from gameplay, but if I install CE I can't play the game at all.
Here's what I've tried/checked so far:
* I am using the vampire.exe file from UP 9.4, which has not helped in this case (though I did need it on my last computer).
* I am running the game from vampire.exe directly, not through Steam.
* It is running in compatibility for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and in administrator mode.
* Someone mentioned SweetFX causing problems like this, so I tried removing it from the game folder temporarily. Still no improvement, so I put it back.
* Steam's auto-update during gameplay is disabled in the Steam menu. If I right-click VTMB and choose Properties, the Automatic Updates dropdown doesn't have an option to fully disable it, so I assume the former was all I needed to disable.
* I have heard that using an integrated graphics processor could lead to similar problems. My laptop has two graphics processors, a decent NVIDIA gaming one and a crappier integrated one. I've tried using both and have the same problem either way.
- Here's what the crash log tells me, if it helps any:
Is there anything else I haven't tried yet that might be able to help?
Barring that, if I just really can't get CE to work, is there any other patch that just includes the texture updates, so that I can at least play with decent graphics? Because even with the game settings all at max, all of the textures in-game (including characters' hair and clothing) are super agonizingly blurry and pixelated. I don't know why, only that CE fixes it. Although I'd really miss a lot of the other additions, I think I could tough it out without CE if only the textures weren't so bad.
Any help would be much appreciated.