Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mouser9169
Elder
Elder

Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? Empty
PostSubject: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 3:46 am

This probably should've been first, but anyway.

I've said before, and meant it, that if I wanted to make a 'serious' Bloodlines mod, the last engine I would want to use is Bloodlines. I know some restrictions can be circumvented, but it's still a PITA all around, with a plot that can only be spun so many different ways before you're actually changing the game.

Personally, I would go with Dragon Age 1. As long as the mod is non-commercial, you're pretty much golden. I'd still rather see you go off and make a real commercial game from scratch though - I can recommend a few good engines (C4 tops my list). You're way too good to stick around as a modder. 'Indies' can make money in this industry if they keep their scope realistic.

Back to DA1:

1) A lot of Bloodlines 'charm' is the cutscenes. Dragon Age was designed specifically to do double duty as a mechanime generator - meaning you can make all the cut scenes you want, with lip syncing and voice overs and anything else you wanted, without having to pull teeth and and workaround engine limitations all day long.

2) Scripting - almost everything that can be pulled out of the engine has been. All the combat code, equipment, character, npc, and 'monster' stats - that's all scripted and can be completely changed to work however you want it. You could do an absolutely 'by the book' PC version of the tabletop combat rules if you wanted, though some things are probably best modified a bit for the medium.

3) Ease of creation: You can make new cities, wilderness, roads, towns, interiors - pretty much anything you want. Will it look totally modern if you stick to stock resources? No - but you could do a helluva game set in Scotland...
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 am

I'd have no idea how to go about something like this. And it would take me at least half a year to learn working on a game engine. And I'm sure I don't have the patience to do "basic research" for such a long time.

-geek 
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 7:00 am

You know, this is actually not a bad idea. You could make an indie vampire game, in a vampire universe created by you (us in the forum can help). You've already mastered Python unlike any other, malkav. An indie game could give far more freedom to work with and a far more polished and perfected end result.

If it reaches this stage, it would be my honor to help you in the lore and world-building
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 7:56 am

You know about the resurgence project? How long have they been on it without any real result? 4 years, 5, more?

I don't even know what other engines exist, and to be honest I have no intention to find out and learn how to use them.

-geek 
Back to top Go down
mouser9169
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Childe of Malkav wrote:
You know about the resurgence project? How long have they been on it without any real result? 4 years, 5, more?

I don't even know what other engines exist, and to be honest I have no intention to find out and learn how to use them.

-geek 
You have to go at it with the right attitude.

Your first games are going to suck - just like anything else new you learn to do. But you've gotten some of that out of your system already with your modding. I got a good demo going as my first project, but it's on a 2D engine so wouldn't really fit your bill. I do have experience story/plot writing and developing quests that could help.

Seriously think about it. You're good enough. Trust me, I know people who make money at this who aren't half as talented as you are. A bit of research, a bit of time, and you could have a very solid game. Steam is now much more Indie friendly as well, having a new avenue for Indie games to get through their approval process.

That and vampire themes are about the most popular games there are right now. The public is practically screaming for a good one. It doesn't have to be huge - that's the biggest reason games fail: scope creep. Keep it small and simple.
Back to top Go down
Demon1198
Fledgling
Fledgling
Demon1198

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Childe of Malkav wrote:

-geek 
atrblizzard actually said on ModDB that Bloodlines:Resurgence is going to be released in the next few weeks. Smile But I think you could do it. There's not a lot more to do for Bloodlines, you know. Even if you used the same layout of the world in this game and just made it say it was a different setting, it would be pretty good. You have to start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?   Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you really want to make a Bloodlines mod by modding Bloodlines?
Page 1 of 1