Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 New Passwords for TFN 1.2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What format of password would you like to see in the game?
Sunrise or University
65%
 65% [ 11 ]
$unr1s3 or Un1ver$1ty
24%
 24% [ 4 ]
04938274 or 83223091
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
8s3kL2f2J or 4H2ji1P42
6%
 6% [ 1 ]
Combination of all 4
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17
 

AuthorMessage
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello fellow bloodsuckers and TFN fans!

Now that I'm back and digging into my old TFN 1.1 archives, I'm brainstorming and preparing new ideas for TFN 1.2. One of the many new features I want to implement are brand new passwords for the entire game. However, instead of just changing the passwords, I wanted to get with the community to see exactly what format of password should we use? I will compile a list of goals I have in mind for WHY I want the passwords changed.

Purpose of changing passwords
1.) To prevent password memorization/cheating.
2.) To make the hacking skill viable again.
3.) To add flavor and something new to Bloodlines

These are the 3 things I want to achieve while I remake the passwords. So, how can we achieve all 3 goals? Well here are some options I've come up with which can also be voted upon. Feel free to propose your own ideas as well.

New password formats
1.) Sunrise or University (Just like the old ones but simply change the word keeping the vanilla theme the same)
2.) $unr1s3 or Un1ver$1ty (Like the old ones but with funny characters to help prevent memorization/cheating)
3.) 04938274 or 83223091 (Completely random numbers which will further prevent memorization/cheating, but doesn't follow the vanilla theme)
4.) 8s3kL2f2J or 4H2ji1P42 (Completely random numbers AND letters which will further prevent memorization.cheating, but definitely doesn't follow the vanilla theme)
5.) Combination (A combination of all 4 depending on the hacking skill required. Skill 1-3 would be option 1, Skill 4-6 would be option 2, etc...)

Now remember, spoken passwords cannot be changed because we wouldn't have the voice actor to do it properly. However passwords written down on notepads, or graphical based passwords should be OK with a little help from Photoshop. Let's talk about these options, I'm curious what the community wants.


Last edited by Zer0Morph on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
Feral
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4198
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 32
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Something harder to memorize maybe... But in a plain word form, so you could type it in after 12 hours of work without tossing the keyboard on walls. Option 1. for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2074
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 pm

I think Malkav figured out a way to randomize passwords on each playthrough or something like that. You might want to look into that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Dragatus wrote:
I think Malkav figured out a way to randomize passwords on each playthrough or something like that. You might want to look into that.

I've already thought of that and unless it's super easy to implement, I'd rather do something like this. We'll see what Malkav says.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
Claudia
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4887
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 28
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am

Dragatus wrote:
I think Malkav figured out a way to randomize passwords on each playthrough or something like that. You might want to look into that.

If I could code...
I'd love have several themed "sets of passwords", and computers "randomly" picking a word from that set according to the computer it is. Say, the theme "hospital" for a set of passwords would include lots of hospital related words, and during each play through, the computers would randomly pick their passwords from that list ? And hence, those picked out words would affect the different tips around Smile


Either way, option 1, having different keyboards fucks my mind <_<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gschenker
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-09-30
Location : Albertirsa, Hungary

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 am

As a system administrator, I think that you should use a mixed format: the lower the security level, the simplier password should be needed. For example, a password on lower levels should be used a simple password with a poor changing (only letters with lower OR upper case), medium level should be used a not too complicated expression, mixed by letters and numbers. I think that passwords on a higher level should be use randomly generated passwords with any case of letters, numbers and special characters. Therefore, ability 'hacking' should affect the difficulty of passwords.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5129
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 am

For the password format, I'd prefer mostly plain text, pehaps with the occasional "funny" character thrown in. Part of the fun in bloodlines is that the passwords are related to the story or the characters.

For what I did in CE, I made copies of the subdirectories/functions that are password protected, and used different passwords for the different copies. Then at the start of the game, a random number selects which version of the subdirectories/functions are displayed.
This is easy to implement, but makes for larger hackfiles of course. And it can't be applied on email passwords unless you want to make different hackfiles.

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Duncan.Oliver
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny


Posts : 1303
Join date : 2011-02-08
Location : U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Many businesses (like the one where I work) require new passwords to be a minimum of 8 characters, with both lower- and upper-case letters, at least one number, and at least one special character ($, #, etc.). So I think something like 'Sunri$e1' is logical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claudia
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4887
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 28
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 pm

For most students when they can't think of a password for their university account, I go all like "your last name and your birth year dude"
(they require 10 characters out of which two should not be letters)

<_<

But, Dunca, loodlines is set in 2004 Very Happy They don't know about nothing :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duncan.Oliver
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny


Posts : 1303
Join date : 2011-02-08
Location : U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Claudia wrote:
But, Dunca, loodlines is set in 2004 Very Happy They don't know about nothing :p

True; I tend to forget the year it's set in. LOL

Childe of Malkav; You can Google the most popular passwords for that year and use those; i.e. 'password' or 'qwerty'. M1tn1ck will love you. Smile

Don't forget to press the 'Any' key when you're done. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5129
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Claudia, this password is as secure as it can get. No hacker would even try something that stupid... Cool
Actually even before 2004 people knew what a secure passsword should look like.

Duncan, qwerty wouldn't work for me. I have qwertz

- geek

P.S. I can't press the ANY key. My keyboard doesn't have it scratch

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
gschenker
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-09-30
Location : Albertirsa, Hungary

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 am

Duncan.Oliver wrote:
M1tn1ck will love you. Smile

Especially for he is a LIVING hacker and he lives nowadays in LA...
However, until V:tMB game hasn't been published I didn't know the fact that he is a Nosferatu... Smile lol!
I suppose, in rainy days he and Golden Gary are often meets with Imalia for a funny stip poker party... drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 am

gschenker wrote:
I suppose, in rainy days he and Golden Gary are often meets with Imalia for a funny stip poker party... drunken

Eeeeewwww can you imagine? Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
gschenker
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-09-30
Location : Albertirsa, Hungary

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Zer0Morph wrote:
Eeeeewwww can you imagine? Shocked

Yep. Just imagine that Gary says to Imalia: "- Get your clothes off."
And immediately after he saw Imalia's ugly body he says:"- Get your dress up now." Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maxus Corvin
Methuselah
Methuselah


Posts : 478
Join date : 2010-10-03
Age : 25
Location : Normandy SR-2

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

gschenker wrote:
Zer0Morph wrote:
Eeeeewwww can you imagine? Shocked

Yep. Just imagine that Gary says to Imalia: "- Get your clothes off."
And immediately after he saw Imalia's ugly body he says:"- Get your dress up now." Shocked

It can't be that bad. I'm sure if anyone decided on making a more...revealing....texture for her, it wouldn't be as disgusting as one might think.

...

...

...

Well, at least she isn't a Samedi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2074
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

gschenker wrote:
Zer0Morph wrote:
Eeeeewwww can you imagine? Shocked

Yep. Just imagine that Gary says to Imalia: "- Get your clothes off."
And immediately after he saw Imalia's ugly body he says:"- Get your dress up now." Shocked

I don't know about that. From what I could see Imalia still seems to have a decent figure, she just has a nasty skin condition. All in all, while the Nosferatu in the game certainly look ugly and inhuman, they aren't all that repulsive to me. Except for brother Kanker, but that has more to do with his personality and speech than his looks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilentWolf
Fledgling
Fledgling


Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey.. I totally hate that idea of $unr1s3 or Un1ver$1ty password.. you know why? It's pretty simple and hope you will see a nonsense of putting it there after reading this. I have for example czech layout on my keybord.. i don't even know where is $ button situated without changing my keybord to US. Don't put there these types of passwords Wink i can imagine I won't be only one who would have problem with that.. But with high hacking skill Very Happy why not.. Writing it into computer by own? No way jose! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gschenker
Neonate
Neonate


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-09-30
Location : Albertirsa, Hungary

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:53 am

I think that using of passwords requires some kind of lifelike implementation. There are differences between two passwords, so my opinion is simple: It would be use many different passwords formats. The more digit creates a password, the more complexity will be needed to implementation, so I would do something like this (in code below):

Code:
##############################################
#    Password generator by gschenker        #
#--------------------------------------------#
#                                            #
# Function: genpwd(seclvl)                  #
# Parameter: seclvl (security level def. 0-4)#
# Result: Generated password on 6 to 12 chars#
#--------------------------------------------#
# Valid security level (seclvl) values:      #
# 0 - Only numeric password up to 6 digits  #
# 1 - Lower alphanumeric password (7 digits) #
# 2 - Alphanumeric password (8 digits)      #
# 3 - Numbers and letters alike (9 digits)  #
# 4 - Spec. characters permitted (10 digits)  #
#                                            #
##############################################

import random

# Password ranges initialized
numlist= ['0']
lanlist= ['a']
anrlist= ['A']
anmlist= ['0']
spclist= ['0']

# Numeric characters only
for n in range(49, 58):
    numlist.append(chr(n))

# Alphanumeric lower cased characters only
for ch in range(98, 123):
    lanlist.append(chr(ch))

# Mixed - upper and lower - alphanumeric letters (without any numbers)
for ch in range(98, 123):
    anrlist.append(chr(ch))
    anrlist.append(chr(ch-32))

# Numeric and alphanumeric characters
anmlist = numlist+anrlist

# All characters permitted - except special characters
alllist = anmlist

# Adding special characters range for others ranges
for ch in range(34, 48):
    alllist.append(chr(ch))

# Password generator method by Sinya
def genpwd(seclvl):

    # Password local variable init.
    pwd =""

    for i in range(0, 6+seclvl):
       
        # Only numbers are permitted (up to 6 characters)
        if seclvl==0:
          pwd = pwd + numlist[random.randrange(0, len(numlist))]

        # Only lowercase characters are permitted (up to 7 characters)
        elif seclvl==1:
          pwd = pwd + lanlist[random.randrange(0, len(lanlist))]

        # Upper- and lowercase characters are permitted (up to 8 characters)
        elif seclvl==2:
          pwd = pwd + anrlist[random.randrange(0, len(anrlist))]

        # All characters are permitted - except special characters (up to 9 characters)
        elif seclvl==3:
          pwd = pwd + anmlist[random.randrange(0, len(anmlist))]

        # All characters are permitted - including special characters (up to 10 characters)
        elif seclvl==4:
          pwd = pwd + alllist[random.randrange(0, len(alllist))]

    return pwd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5129
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 pm

I agree with SilentWolf. The game is setup for american keyboards. But since players all over the world play it, there are problems. So simple letters are no trouble. Numbers probably would work as well. But anything else can cause serious problems for manually typing in the passwords if you don't have english/american keyboard layout.

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Claudia
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4887
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 28
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Hey I named the different keyboards first ! :-(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragatus
Caine
Caine


Posts : 2074
Join date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Childe of Malkav wrote:
But anything else can cause serious problems for manually typing in the passwords if you don't have english/american keyboard layout.

With other words, it's an effective way to keep people who don't have enough Hacking from manually entering the password. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zer0Morph
Caine
Caine


Posts : 4245
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 37
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

SilentWolf wrote:
Hey.. I totally hate that idea of $unr1s3 or Un1ver$1ty password.. you know why? It's pretty simple and hope you will see a nonsense of putting it there after reading this. I have for example czech layout on my keybord.. i don't even know where is $ button situated without changing my keybord to US. Don't put there these types of passwords Wink i can imagine I won't be only one who would have problem with that.. But with high hacking skill Very Happy why not.. Writing it into computer by own? No way jose! bounce

Hmm something I didn't consider. Thanks for bringing up that point. I guess crazy characters are out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://camarillaedition.darkbb.com
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5129
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 am

gschenker wrote:
I think that using of passwords requires some kind of lifelike implementation. There are differences between two passwords, so my opinion is simple: It would be use many different passwords formats. The more digit creates a password, the more complexity will be needed to implementation, so I would do something like this (in code below):

Code:
##############################################
#    Password generator by gschenker        #
#--------------------------------------------#
#                                            #
# Function: genpwd(seclvl)                  #
# Parameter: seclvl (security level def. 0-4)#
# Result: Generated password on 6 to 12 chars#
#--------------------------------------------#
# Valid security level (seclvl) values:      #
# 0 - Only numeric password up to 6 digits  #
# 1 - Lower alphanumeric password (7 digits) #
# 2 - Alphanumeric password (8 digits)      #
# 3 - Numbers and letters alike (9 digits)  #
# 4 - Spec. characters permitted (10 digits)  #
#                                            #
##############################################

import random

# Password ranges initialized
numlist= ['0']
lanlist= ['a']
anrlist= ['A']
anmlist= ['0']
spclist= ['0']

# Numeric characters only
for n in range(49, 58):
    numlist.append(chr(n))

# Alphanumeric lower cased characters only
for ch in range(98, 123):
    lanlist.append(chr(ch))

# Mixed - upper and lower - alphanumeric letters (without any numbers)
for ch in range(98, 123):
    anrlist.append(chr(ch))
    anrlist.append(chr(ch-32))

# Numeric and alphanumeric characters
anmlist = numlist+anrlist

# All characters permitted - except special characters
alllist = anmlist

# Adding special characters range for others ranges
for ch in range(34, 48):
    alllist.append(chr(ch))

# Password generator method by Sinya
def genpwd(seclvl):

    # Password local variable init.
    pwd =""

    for i in range(0, 6+seclvl):
       
        # Only numbers are permitted (up to 6 characters)
        if seclvl==0:
          pwd = pwd + numlist[random.randrange(0, len(numlist))]

        # Only lowercase characters are permitted (up to 7 characters)
        elif seclvl==1:
          pwd = pwd + lanlist[random.randrange(0, len(lanlist))]

        # Upper- and lowercase characters are permitted (up to 8 characters)
        elif seclvl==2:
          pwd = pwd + anrlist[random.randrange(0, len(anrlist))]

        # All characters are permitted - except special characters (up to 9 characters)
        elif seclvl==3:
          pwd = pwd + anmlist[random.randrange(0, len(anmlist))]

        # All characters are permitted - including special characters (up to 10 characters)
        elif seclvl==4:
          pwd = pwd + alllist[random.randrange(0, len(alllist))]

    return pwd
I haven't checked the validity of your code, but I don't see how you want to use it for bloodlines. I have tested it today. The hackfiles don't accept a python script for the password. It will use the function name, not the return value.
So the only way I can imagine is to have different versions of the password protected subdirs, and select one of them via the dependency. Or if you also want to change the email pwd, you have to use different hackfiles and change the parameter accordingly on maploade or on usebegin for the computer.

In any case I prefer passwords with a connection to the game and the computer-owner.

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Jad.3
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny


Posts : 1890
Join date : 2010-09-11
Age : 34
Location : near Prague

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Something you have a chance of typing in drunk.

Claudia wrote:
I'd love have several themed "sets of passwords",...
What she said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine


Posts : 5129
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Bochum, Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Jad.3 wrote:
Something you have a chance of typing in drunk.
Jad, you made your haven in the cellars of the Budweiser brewery? Or why do you go on about typing while drunk? drunken

Jad.3 wrote:
Claudia wrote:
I'd love have several themed "sets of passwords",...
What she said.

- geek

_________________
- geek

Tuesday is Soylent Green day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New Passwords for TFN 1.2   Today at 10:27 am

Back to top Go down
 
New Passwords for TFN 1.2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» ♦♦♦ PASSWORDS ♦♦♦ - Make them STRONG !!!
» EMAIL UNAUTHORISED ACCESS: UPDATE YOUR PASSWORDS
» Passwords.. again!
» Random Passwords, why?! T_T
» hinari passwords

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team Camarilla International Official Forum :: The Final Nights Forum :: Post Your Reviews and Ideas-
Jump to: