Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Movie Review: "We are the Night"

Go down 
+3
Maxus Corvin
Childe of Malkav
Eliza
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eliza
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Eliza

Movie Review: "We are the Night" Empty
PostSubject: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:50 am

Lena, a young girl from Berlin, keeps her head above water with small-scale thefts, all the while trying to stay ahead of Tom, the police officer who tries to arrest her. One night, she finds herself at an illegal rave, and meets Louise - a vampire over 200 years old who sees a chance for her long-lost love in Lena and decides to turn her into a vampire.
Accompanied by Louise, Charlotte (a star of the silent film era) and Nora (a slightly crazy, luxury-loving girl), Lena learns just what it means to be immortal - but things get complicated as Tom shows an unhealthy interest in the latest addition to the vampire trio. Suddenly, they have Berlin's police close on their heels and somehow have to get them off track again. But Lena isn't as comfortable with murder as her companions and her refusal just might prove to be (un)life-threatening for all of them...

That to a short summary of the movie (hopefully without too much spoilers), and now, for my own two cents on what the movie really is like. Wink

I've been to the cinema in winter '10 and haven't had a chance to watch the movie since, so I might be a bit vague concerning the actualy plot - the summary from above was hack'n'slash-ed from the German wiki page. The DVD and Blu-ray release is set for April, 16th and I so plan on buying the film - because I think it's worth spending the money on.
A long time, all German attempts at good horror movies were futile, but I'm proud to say that 'We are the Night' (translation from the original title 'Wir sind die Nacht') is not horrible at all. At least not if you're willing to overlook a slightly weak plot - better than nothing, at least.
For entertainment purposes, the vampire-thriller definitely works quite nicely. The 100 minutes passed like nothing in the cinema, I was kept intrigued all the way from beginning to end, and watching the credits roll, I just thought 'aw, damn. Is it already over?'

But let's get to the aspect that probably interests you most - the vampires. The thing that makes me proud (and actually relieved) is that in the times of Twi... - I can't even write that blasphemous thing - at least some people managed to remember that the creatures of the night burn to crisps in sunlight and have fangs. So, you won't find any of the main characters (except Tom..) running around in sunlight without a good sunburn or grinning like a Cheshire cat without the nice touch of pointy canines we all love so much.
Since the movie's rated 16+ in Germany, it's no wonder our vamps involve in a good amount of drugs, blood and 'rock'n'roll'. I guess a 'good amount' is subjective, though.
Oh, you also won't find any male vampires in the movie ... but I won't spoiler the 'why', you're told about this in the movie itself. I'll just say so much: Finally someone draws logical conclusions! Laughing

For the plot ... yeah ... well, it's not as fascinating and deep as I would've wished, but it's not that bad, either. As I said, the movie is good for entertainment, but won't satisfy your expectations if you watch it with a sense of 'Vampire: The Masquerade' in mind. This kind of movie still has to be made, I'm afraid.

Just another word concerning soundtrack - the effects of the chosen music were very good in the cinema, but I'll have yet to make up my mind if this feeling can be re-created at home ... but I know I'll buy the OST if I get a chance to, some of the titles really got stuck in my mind for days after watching the film.

Nonetheless, I dare say you'll find 'We are the Night' to be the movie-equivalent of a tasty little snack between lunch and dinner - not overly heavy in your stomach, but nicely spiced. For me, time passed quickly while watching it for the first time and I never grew bored.
The only downer is that I have no idea if the film will ever be released in English. There are English posters, even English trailers - but I couldn't find any English DVD so far. The German release doesn't contain any other languages or subtitles, so maybe the film hasn't been released in the UK and the US yet?
The German release date was some time in October, 2010, and the French release for the cinemas was, if I remember correctly, on December, 29th last year, but otherwise - who knows?
Any of you who understand German or French well enough, I'd advise you to give the movie a try. Otherwise, take a look if there's a subtitled version somewhere on the webs.

And, to give you a look at what I'm taking about, here's the better one of the two English trailers. Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 am

Sounds interesting.
And finally a movie where I don't have to check, if the original english version is on the DVD, and if you can turn off the bloody german subtitles. Cool

- geek
Back to top Go down
Maxus Corvin
Methuselah
Methuselah
Maxus Corvin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:05 am

Seems I am a fish, and the hook has pierced skin.

Anyway, it might seem a little odd with no male Vampires(even though I love the idea of a female lead), it's something I don't mind. I'll have to see this one.
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:26 am

.. Seriously ?
I mean, a german movie that's not Goodbye Lenin! and that could be.. watchable ?
I don't beleive you ! It's like having a good French Movie, that's not a Louis de Funès one, it doesn't exist Very Happy

I'll have a look in this, hopefully the French Dub is acceptable (because I trust no English dub or a foreign movie).

\o/
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 am

Hmm, you got me interested.

Pity i'll only be able to see with an english dub or sub, cuz no chance in hell this is ever gonna be translated to brazillian portuguese.

I never expect too much from a vampire movie in terms of plot and history. None could reach a VTM standard.

I'd be curious to know the reason why there are no male vampires, since in most vampire universes the kindred rarely embrace a woman. What, all male vamps have died after arguing about a football match? Laughing

If you ever hear about a english sub or dub to it, gimme a heads up.
Back to top Go down
Maxus Corvin
Methuselah
Methuselah
Maxus Corvin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:42 am

ThePhilosopher wrote:

I'd be curious to know the reason why there are no male vampires, since in most vampire universes the kindred rarely embrace a woman. What, all male vamps have died after arguing about a football match? Laughing

Uh, so none , or at least very few of the movies/games/stories you've seen, included a female Vampire? I've seen dozens of them including a female Vampire, most of them ones I like. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a male Vampire. But why should they hog the moonlight all the time?
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am

Because Vampires are despotic guys holding on to 30, 50, 200, 300, 1500 years old customs, one of which is "women have no rights, no merits and serve only to reproduce" ?
Back to top Go down
Feral
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Feral

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Claudia wrote:
Because Vampires are despotic guys holding on to 30, 50, 200, 300, 1500 years old customs, one of which is "women have no rights, no merits and serve only to reproduce" ?

You forgot about cleaning, cooking, mending clotches, rising children...
Sorry, couldn't resist. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Exactly Wink

I mean, when you take a 70 years old red neck asshole, you multiply that by about 200, and you get your basic Vampire Smile
Back to top Go down
Childe of Malkav
Beyond Caine
Beyond Caine
Childe of Malkav

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 6:05 pm

ThePhilosopher wrote:
Hmm, you got me interested.

Pity i'll only be able to see with an english dub or sub, cuz no chance in hell this is ever gonna be translated to brazillian portuguese.
If it is good, there might be a chance to get at least european portuguese.

Quote :
I never expect too much from a vampire movie in terms of plot and history. None could reach a VTM standard.
Too true, man.

Quote :
Nope. If it's set in Berlin, someone organized free tickets for the Cup final for the whole lot, and they just forgot it's played in broad daylight lol!

Quote :
If you ever hear about a english sub or dub to it, gimme a heads up.
I'll keep my undead eyes open...

- geek
Back to top Go down
Ringo
Neonate
Neonate

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 pm

I bet english subs wont be long once the dvd gets available. And then, you can make the brazillian portuguese subtitles, ThePhilosopher. And voila!
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Maxus Corvin wrote:
ThePhilosopher wrote:

Uh, so none , or at least very few of the movies/games/stories you've seen, included a female Vampire? I've seen dozens of them including a female Vampire, most of them ones I like. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a male Vampire. But why should they hog the moonlight all the time?

Claudia pretty much answered for me(thx hun), but i'll reply to you anyway

First, i've never said that few works of vampire fiction i've seen had a female vampire, did I?
I just said they rarely embrace them, because of 1500 years old sexism and stuff like that.

It kinda makes sense. Society has always been oppresive towards women. The rights woman have are pretty recent creations, and they're not universal. It only makes sense that a vampire back at ancient greece(where in most places, woman weren't even allowed to leave the home) will embrace a male vampire, and so on and so on.

If that greek vampire lives enough to become an elder, he will most probably affect the embracing of others, and guess what? His sexism probably won't change.

Another example, in VtM the first female Assamite to be embraced was back in 1800's. Considering the antidilluvians (and their clans) have about 10.000 years, that took quite some time. Since vampires don't age or get sick, most of vampiric population would be male, don't you think?

I don't know what you mean by "hog the moonlight", so i'll assume you meant "steal the spotlight".
I have no problem with womans in the spotlight. But the absolute lack of males in an vampire setting doesn't make much sense unless a good explanation is obtained.

Just as an absolute lack of females vampires in an comtemporary setting would be hard to swallow without a good explation too.

Do you get mypoint now?
Back to top Go down
Maxus Corvin
Methuselah
Methuselah
Maxus Corvin

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 pm

ThePhilosopher wrote:

It kinda makes sense. Society has always been oppresive towards women. The rights woman have are pretty recent creations, and they're not universal. It only makes sense that a vampire back at ancient greece(where in most places, woman weren't even allowed to leave the home) will embrace a male vampire, and so on and so on.

So it has to be that way in fiction, as well? Sure, it's obvious that some whose been a Vampire for a long time, might have the same ideals he had then. But even if it might be easier to chose a male to turn/sire/embrace(whichever a given work might call it), why wouldn't at least a few of these Vampires choose women?

ThePhilosopher wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "hog the moonlight", so i'll assume you meant "steal the spotlight".
I have no problem with womans in the spotlight. But the absolute lack of males in an vampire setting doesn't make much sense unless a good explanation is obtained.

Depends the origins of Vampires, as a species. It could be something similar to the Dracula explanation, or something else entirely. But why would it need to hinge on a male, since women have been around just as long(or just about, if it goes along with the Adam and Eve story)?

ThePhilosopher wrote:
Do you get mypoint now?

Pretty much. Doesn't exactly mean I completely agree with it, though.
Back to top Go down
ThePhilosopher
Caine
Caine
ThePhilosopher

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am

Sure they would, exceptions to the rule.

Yes, depends on the origins of the vampire species, which can end up in the "good argument for no (fe)male vampires".
It doesn't need to hinge on a male, did i ever said it NEEDED to always be a male ancestor to all vampires, or that all vampires MUST ALWAYS be male, or that no female vampire is ever allowed? I didn't, but you act as if i did.

Oh, i totally forgot women have been around just as much as men. I thought somewhere in our history we fucked ant holes to make children. Thank you for reminding me that fact.

So you don't agree that, since historically positions of power has been held by men, more male vampires would exist?

I don't know what is exactly that you're trying to do here, Maxus, but it seems to me you're trying to be a woman's right activist or protector of some sort, and that i have offended the female population of our species at some point.

If you look at my messages, however, you will see that never at any point i made any attempt to offend woman.

It's like you're trying to argue with the statement of "There are more woman with long hair than there are men with long hair"

I'm glad we're able to put this misunderstanding behind us.
Back to top Go down
Ringo
Neonate
Neonate

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I found this english subtitle file. http://www.podnapisi.net/Wir.Sind.Die.Nacht.2010.DVDRip.XViD.AC3-LuCiFeR-r441007

It's by far the worst fanmade subtitles I've ever read. The translator most likely relied on google translate or something similar when making this, BUT YOU DO get the gist of what's being said.

I'm halfway through the movie and it's nice. The story seems thin, but that comes with the vampire theme, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: "We are the Night"   Movie Review: "We are the Night" Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Review: "We are the Night"
Page 1 of 1