Team Camarilla International Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Camarilla International Official Forum

This is the official forum for Team Camarilla International: The Bloodlines Developers

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone knows a good Manga?

Go down 
+5
kyoden
eye of the divine
Nachtrae
Claudia
Shabutaro
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

Anyone knows a good Manga? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 am

Anyone reads Manga's? If so can you recommend me a good one i didn't read? I read almost every popular ones so you can leave stuff like Naruto, Code Geass etc out Wink
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 am

Manga writes without an s, even in plural Smile

It depends on what's your taste in literature. I can give you awesome romantic adventures, but if you like horror, then it's not "a good one". Manga is like the movies, you can't say "I like movies", it will depend on what movie you're talking about !

since you named code geass (which isn't a manga to begin with, but a TV series, then turned into a bunch of different manga) and naruto, I'm aiming for good shonen manga here :
Hunter X Hunter ; popular but not enough !
Chobits : it's CLAMP, so it's classified in so many sections... give it a try.
Ai non stop : by the author of love hina and negima, ai non stop is the best work of the guy.
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and it's counterpart, XXXholic
Rurouni Kenshin (known as Samurai X in the US and on TV) : best sword's manga ever. With awesome historical events of the Meiji era.

On a more adult side, Reiko the Zombie shop, MPD Psycho, Hellsing, Monster, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, High School of The Dead (okay this is fanservice, but if you like Romero..), any manga by Tanigushi, Zipang. Vampire Princess Miyu too, even if it's more shojo.
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 am

Well in Germany we tend to say Mangas in plural, even though it's wrong ^^

Basically i read all kind of genres besides yaoi, shounen-ai, gender-bender.. you know what i mean?^^
I also read stuff like romance, shoujo etc. even though i am a dude so no worries there

Yea Code Geass hasn't started like most Anime with a Manga but got turned into one, so what, it's still a Manga Wink

HxH is ok and on my "want to read" list (damn is should have finished my Manga list on anime-planet.. would be easier ^^
Chobits: read, was really good
Ai non stop: love hina was my first harem, i really liked it so i will give this a try
Tsubasa Chronicles: can't remember if i read that or something with nearly the same name.. will look it up
XXXholic: not really to my liking cuz dude plays female (if XXXholic was the one)
Rurouni Kenshin: As a sword lover and owner of a little katana collection and japan during 1500-1600 fan, big LIKE Wink

Thanks for your input Smile
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 am

Well, German is wrong, what can I say ! anyway, you're writing in English, so, compel to English rules !
(tho it's not an English rule, it's a basic rule that foreign words are either translated or kept as they are. This is why in Spanish we say "Nueva-York" for New-York ; either you say "Japanese comic books" or "manga", but you can't mix them up, language doesn't work that way)

XXXHolic : no guy passing as girl. Just witches, magic, spirits and randomness. Same authors as chobits.. and many references !
They also did Kobato, in the same style of Chobits, but.. cuter Smile

Before being all reluctant to try new things, and saying "but is it the one with.." :
1) don't ask for stuff
2) google it before making assumptions...

when you ask about stuff, be precise :d

Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 7:28 am

Yea i know.

Yea sorry mixed that up with Maria Holic ~.~ will look this up.

I am not reluctant to try new things, there are just things i don't like in general...
And i am at work so i can't really google those things Razz

I wasn't even sure if there is anyone who reads manga.. duh..

Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 am

The very first post of the who are you topic says that I own(ed) a manga store.. whaddaya think ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 am

Well i joined later and didn't really looked through the whole threads so i didn't know Wink But that's good to know! After i finish my list on planet-anime i will post it so you can see what i read (if i manage to find all i already read.. too many..) if you want to help me find a pearl i overlooked Smile

btw: You still sell manga? If so in english? If so do you have Great Teacher Onizuka? I am desperately searching for the whole collection Sad
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

Nop, I don't sell any manga en English. Find a guy on ebay.uk or ebay.com. I could never import.
Back to top Go down
Nachtrae
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Nachtrae

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm

I know a couple vampire manga's if you're interested:

Hellsing > definitely my favortite. The manga is finished and there is a 12 episode TV series of it, as well as 9 OVA mini movies. The OVA follows the manga perfectly.
Trinity Blood > I've mostly watched the anime of it, but it was a while ago. There is also a manga but I don't think that that's finished. Still, I enjoy it
Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust > A movie. A good movie.
Rosario Vampire > Definitely an amusing manga of a human boy getting himself into a school for monsters.

Other than that you also have:

1/2 Prince > A fantasy/sci fi manga set in the future. It mostly plays in the computer game Second Life. The main character is an incredibly handsome elf boy in the game, but a girl in RL. Ingame, she gets a real big reputation and then things start to go to hell
Ratman > A recent find of mine. It's about a world in which heroes are used for commercial purposes and the main character badly wants to be a hero too. It's just that he's a small guy. And then he gets himself roped in by an evil organization.
Fairy Tail > A very interesting magic filled manga.
Beelzebub > The demon king sends his youngest child to Earth to grow up there and destroy it. A delinquent student ends up being the adopted parent
Skip Beat > A dreamy, plain girl gets dumped by the guy of her dreams for whom she moved away from her family and worked 2 jobs at the same time to help support him, while he worked on his singing career. In revenge, she starts to take up acting to become more popular than him.

These aren't manga, but manwha, and you might like these too:

Noblesse > My damned favorite right now. After 800 years of slumber, Rai wakes up to a changed world and following the crowd, he ends up on a highschool which is run by his servant Frankenstein. Rai enrolls to familiarize himself with the modern world (the exact reason why Franky made the school). They eventually get wrapped up in violent business with a group that enhances human beings through experimentations.
Magician > Don't really know how to sum this up quickly. It has a cocky redhead skilled in nature magic and a boy that wants to take revenge on a fire wielder for killing his tutor, and they follow a mysterious and very powerful mage around on some quest of his.
Necromancer > A very interesting story. In the slums of some city, there is a necromancer who can raise the dead back to life providing he has every single bone to work with. The reanimated corpse has a strengthened personality though, which sometimes becomes problematic for the client. The necromancer doesn't give a shit though. Razz
Dark Mage > This one is a little confusing at first because they mix up past and present a bit. The main character is the son of some hated man and got some seals placed on him to ensure he doesn't go the same direction. He eventually went to join or create a cult of sorts and became insanely powerful and evilish. When hunted down, he literally used all of his powers to fight them off. He fell down a cliff then, certain to die, but a group of mages from another continent and in desperate need of a powerful warrior, saved him and brought him to their place. Only to find out that he wasted all of his power and is little more than a common soldier in strength now.
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the detailed description, i only read half of them so far Smile The next few days are saved^^
Back to top Go down
Nachtrae
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Nachtrae

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Shabutaro wrote:
Thanks for the detailed description, i only read half of them so far Smile The next few days are saved^^
Only half? XD
Well, I suppose that's better than nothing haha Very Happy
Enjoy reading!
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Nachtrae wrote:
Shabutaro wrote:
Only half? XD
Enjoy reading!

Yea only.. all others who give me suggestions it's like 1-3 of the listed were ones i didn't read^^

And i forgot to mention in my last post: i read God of Highschool, Transfer Student Storm Bringer, Noblesse (damn Rei is awesome! "and neither did i grant you permission to breath!"), Tower of God, Supernatural Investigation Department etc. and some non colored ones who are mainly romance^^ So yea i read manwah, too Wink
Back to top Go down
Nachtrae
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Nachtrae

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Shabutaro wrote:
Nachtrae wrote:
Shabutaro wrote:
Only half? XD
Enjoy reading!

Yea only.. all others who give me suggestions it's like 1-3 of the listed were ones i didn't read^^

And i forgot to mention in my last post: i read God of Highschool, Transfer Student Storm Bringer, Noblesse (damn Rei is awesome! "and neither did i grant you permission to breath!"), Tower of God, Supernatural Investigation Department etc. and some non colored ones who are mainly romance^^ So yea i read manwah, too Wink

Oh I LOVE that moment in Noblesse! It truly shows just how powerful Rai is when compared to 'normal' enhanced humans. They were utterly helpless. Of course, his battle against Lady Lord was epic too, but that was more tutoring than dominating.

And I also love it when Franky goes into berserker mode. Such a friendly, well mannered looking person turning into such a sadistic bastard when fighting/sensing an upcoming fight.

The little humorous, calm, inbetween moments are awesome too. As well as Franky's reactions to the kids coming to his house or his possessions getting trashed. I lol'd at his face when he discovered M21 had left the school damaged in his fight against that woman who's name I don't recall.
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Nachtrae wrote:
Shabutaro wrote:
Nachtrae wrote:
Shabutaro wrote:
Only half? XD
Enjoy reading!

Oh I LOVE that moment in Noblesse! It truly shows just how powerful Rai is when compared to 'normal' enhanced humans. They were utterly helpless. Of course, his battle against Lady Lord was epic too, but that was more tutoring than dominating.

And I also love it when Franky goes into berserker mode. Such a friendly, well mannered looking person turning into such a sadistic bastard when fighting/sensing an upcoming fight.

The little humorous, calm, inbetween moments are awesome too. As well as Franky's reactions to the kids coming to his house or his possessions getting trashed. I lol'd at his face when he discovered M21 had left the school damaged in his fight against that woman who's name I don't recall.

Yea i agree completely Smile Also funny was the scene were the "famous actor" comes to school with his bodyguard and M21 trashes the van Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nachtrae
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Nachtrae

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm waiting for M21 to be able to transform into his wolf form at will! Very Happy That will be so kickass bounce
Back to top Go down
Shabutaro
Methuselah
Methuselah
Shabutaro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Nachtrae wrote:
I'm waiting for M21 to be able to transform into his wolf form at will! Very Happy That will be so kickass bounce

Franky will manage it somehow Smile
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am

I haven't read any Manga in quite some time now. However My personal favourites would have to be:

Trigun/Trigun Maximum
Hellsing
Model
Priest
Gungrave

If you like Anime I'd also recommend Escaflowne. I do believe they did a Manga of it but I haven't read it so I can't comment on how good it is.

Gravitation is also quite good as well if you're into Yaoi stuff. That one ran in Manga and Anime form.

Huurrm that's about all I can think of for the moment sorry it's not much I'll try and think of some other ones that I liked. My friend is heavily into Manga and Anime and used to lend me her stuff before she moved away.

If you're interested in western comics I can probably recommend a few of them for you as well ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://eyeofthedivine.tumblr.com
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 am

The manga Escaflowne is quite good, but it's very, very different from the anime. The basis is the same (Gaea, Hitomi...). But it kind of stops there. It makes me thing of the differences between the manga and the anime of Hellsing, or FLCL (both awesome)

(Trigun rulz)
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 am

Claudia wrote:
The manga Escaflowne is quite good, but it's very, very different from the anime. The basis is the same (Gaea, Hitomi...). But it kind of stops there. It makes me thing of the differences between the manga and the anime of Hellsing, or FLCL (both awesome)

(Trigun rulz)

I didn't even know they did one until I checked I had spelt it right XD. I'm a massive Folken fan, he was by far the best character in that series. Please tell me they kept him the same in the Manga?

I dunno about you but I tend to find the Manga is always drastically different from the Anime. Like I remember watching Trigun and thinking it was great then I read the Manga and realised omg the Manga is faaaaaaaaaaaar better.

What's FLCL?

(First anime/manga I really got into was Trigun so I have a soft spot for it Laughing )

Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Escaflowne the manga is far closer to record of Lodoss war, than to the anime. Really it has nothing to do since both projects were held at the same time, with no communication between each other. All characters are very different (Hitomi has long hair and wears glasses.. She is moe !)

Flcl is a 6episodes series by gainax (evangelion makers, but on heavy acid). It's also a two tome manga. But really flcl is 3 hours of lols and wtf.
(kind of like cat and donuts scenes of trigun, but ultra concentrated)
Back to top Go down
eye of the divine
Caine's Progeny
Caine's Progeny
eye of the divine

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Claudia wrote:
Escaflowne the manga is far closer to record of Lodoss war, than to the anime. Really it has nothing to do since both projects were held at the same time, with no communication between each other. All characters are very different (Hitomi has long hair and wears glasses.. She is moe !)

Flcl is a 6episodes series by gainax (evangelion makers, but on heavy acid). It's also a two tome manga. But really flcl is 3 hours of lols and wtf.
(kind of like cat and donuts scenes of trigun, but ultra concentrated)

O.o so the writers for the anime and the manga didn't talk about their projects together at all?

wow yes I remember evangelion; I could never make heads or tails of the anime at least and I've only read a little of the manga. Kuro Neko was awesome in Trigun ^_^ Flcl sounds quite fun.

Back to top Go down
kyoden
Methuselah
Methuselah
kyoden

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 pm

If you want something different that the usual comedy or "kill I kill you more" manga I would suggest Berserk (max) and Pluto.

Berserk is an epic story and certainly an adult one. Brutal, demons, tough story, but on the other side you see why and how the characters acts. Why he changes and so on. Very interesting especially the first 30 Mangas (still unfinished at 38 or so, but I would certainly recomment the first 30)

Pluto has an noir touch and is done totally different. Still haven't got time to read all 8 books, but the story is awesome. I also love the more classical drawings.

On a lighter and more vampiric not. Dance in the Vampire Bund. Probably has all parts in it from intrique, supernaturals, high school, little romance, but all under the curtain of age old vampires and reasons yet to unfold.

Back to top Go down
FallenRaven
Ancillae
Ancillae
FallenRaven

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 am

if you want a realy good fantasy story go for Id or Ubell Blatt or if you want some non fantasy stuff try arachnid and blood parade
Back to top Go down
buzzsaw
Ancillae
Ancillae
buzzsaw

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

kyoden wrote:
On a lighter and more vampiric not. Dance in the Vampire Bund. Probably has all parts in it from intrique, supernaturals, high school, little romance, but all under the curtain of age old vampires and reasons yet to unfold.

Beat me to it! That's my favorite manga. Of course, I'm still getting into manga, so there is a lot I haven't read. I'll be checking out some of these suggestions for sure.

If you like slightly creepy, sad stories, Dolls by Yumiko Kawahara is quite good, with very flow-y, intricate art. My bookshop has only had the first volume for ages, so I haven't read any more. ^^;

Last edited by buzzsaw on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sent too soon)
Back to top Go down
Claudia
Caine
Caine
Claudia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Any kaori Yuki (author of angel sanctuary and count Cain, god child... Very dark Victorian. Her one shots can get pretty twisted too)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone knows a good Manga?   Anyone knows a good Manga? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone knows a good Manga?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next